During September and October 2021, the Esperance Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ECCI), with support from the Goldfields-Esperance Development Commission (GEDC), undertook a workforce needs survey of businesses and organisations operating in the Shire of Esperance. The short survey was created to gather a high-level insight into local workforce issues and build an evidence base that will be used to develop targeted workforce responses. The survey asked Esperance employers about their current workforce needs and whether they were experiencing labour and skills gaps in their respective organisations and industry sectors. Employers from all local industry sectors were invited to participate in the online survey, irrespective of whether they were presently recruiting.
- A significant majority of survey respondents expect that their organisation’s need for workers will increase in the coming year.
- Around three-quarters of respondents currently have job vacancies within their respective organisations.
- Almost 90% of respondents indicated that their organisations had faced challenges in finding suitable staff.
- A large majority of respondents indicated that the quality of job applicants was not sufficient to meet their organisation’s needs.
- A majority of respondents reported that they did not currently have any apprentices or trainees among their staff. However, there was a significant level of interest in potentially taking on apprentices or trainees.
Click here to read the Esperance Workforce Needs Survey Summary Report.